This is the repository of the songbook that is continuously extended by some scouts. Here are all songs, the accompanying documents and the templates for extensions.
Since 2021, the songbook cosists of a number of single ODT files, each per song plus the cover/intro and chords. This way, incremental updates are much easier to make.
.odt files are being compiled to individual PDF files, an
index is automatically generated, and then all files are being bundled together
in one PDF document in
Adding new songs
1. Fill in song template
Open the template
templates/Songtemplate.ott and fill in all fields. Check list:
- Ideally, the song fits on one page to keep the songbook compact.
- The font size and family should not be altered.
- The chords should be written as
A(major). Do not use
afor minor chords.
- The chords should be placed with using spaces directly above the syllable where the chord change takes place.
- In long and complex songs, the verses should also be marked with chords.
Often, there will not be enough space to add them above the text, but you can
also write them after the text line in square brackets, e.g.
...needed proof [G Em7]in
- Verse numbers and headlines like
Refrainshould be bold.
- The box at the bottom can be used for further info about the song, e.g. for an interpretation or explanation of the song's history. If the box is not being used, please remove the top border of the box.
When you're done, save the file in
/src/Songs with the scheme
2. Compile the songbook
Makefile, all necessary steps are taken to generate the full or
censored version of the songbook, including an index. Run
make to get a list
of possible commands.
It is intended to be run on a Linux-based system.
- Install all dependencies: libreoffice, make, poppler-utils (pdfunite),
python3 (with pip and venv) and the
python3 -m venv venvand
. venv/bin/activateto activate the virtual environment
pip3 install -r requirements.txtto install the Python modules in your venv
Dockerfile should install all required dependencies. All you need is
docker to be installed.
docker run --rm -v "$pwd":/data mxmehl/songbook. This will pull the precompiled image, mount your current directory in
/dataof the container, and build the songbook.
If there have been major changes, mostly by adding new songs, increment the
version number in
/src/Extra/Cover+Intro.odt. This then allows to create